Thursday, October 9, 2008

Those who moved west.

For many years I have been working on genealogy and family history. Of the few things I have learned, I know that many of my ancestors came to the "New World" before folks thought of keeping records or historical information. Fortunately, a few individuals or families came later in the 18th century and there is much information to glean - I'm still working on that. Also, many of my ancestors moved west from their initial homes seeking better opportunities for land and ways to make living. These individuals and families also were lost in the migration west.

Most of my ancestors began in Massacheusetts, Virginia, Maryland, Vermont, etc. They followed many of the paths open to those moving west, namely the Cumberland Gap, along the Ohio River, and north or south. Most went north.

As I trace ny own ancestry, I find many of the families in my line had to have known one another prior to their arrival in Kansas, and perhaps, further west. As a result, there are quite a few lost relatives. Interestingly enough, as I trace my family toward the current century I find others working the other way trying to find a connection to some of my ancestors. I guess the six-degrees-of-separation come to life.

My son and his wife provided a unique Christmas gift for me allowing me to have my DNA tested. As I received the results I, like many others have come to the realization that we are related around the world. My ancestry began in East Africa, traveled toward the west portion of the Asian countries toward northern Europe. During the great "ice age" they moved south toward the Iberian peninsula. As the climate changed once again they had a tendency to gravitate back to the Eurpoean countries.

And, of course, when you consider all the religious persecution, families moved to the new America to regain their right to practice religious freedom. What a along journey yours and my ancestors to provide a better life for themselves, and as a result of their courage and endurance, a better life for me and those who will follow me.

I plan to provide much more information on this blog spot, and indeed have just begun!! Come back soon and see what is new.

See you soon,
kelseykay

No comments: